Wreck outposts (CSM)
All this data is potentially out of date, and should be taken with a truckload of salt
- Raised by: Dierdra Vaal
- Submission Date: 24 October 2010
- Issue ID: tbd
See also: Destructible outposts (CSM)
There are a large number of outposts currently in Eve. As alliances gow richer and having an outpost gives a huge defensive advantage (double your reinforcement timers, etc), more and more outposts are being built in Eve (currently it's about 1 outpost for every 6.5 systems). Unlikely most things in Eve however, the outposts are invulnerable. While they can be conquered they can never be destroyed. Destroying outposts (somehow) is something that has come up time and time again however, hence this proposal.
This proposal presents a general solution as well as several specific suggestions, outlining how it could work (not necessarily how it should work).
As we know from previous CSM meetings that actually destroying (removing) an outpost is a technical nightmare, this issue requests a mechanic to allow players to wreck the outpost, which would leave it for all intents and purposes useless.
- Players would not be able to dock, the station services would be destroyed.
- Players who are docked would not be able to set market orders, use the research facilities, repair, etc
- Once a docked player undocks he cannot redock in the wrecked outpost
- Medical clones are moved to the nearest empire based NPC station
- Existing market orders are left as they are (but will most likely simply expire)
- Existing industry jobs will finish as normal
- Jump clones will continue to function
- Destroying an outpost should not be a trivial task
- Solar system would be considered as 'not having an outpost' (possible exception: when trying to build another outpost, provided wrecked outposts can be rebuilt)
Assets in a wrecked outpost would be trapped there if the above items are implemented. To allow these assets to be liberated two options were suggested:
- Allow players to access their personal hangar (ships and items) by treating the wrecked station as a container. Players will be able to retrieve their items from the station wreck but will be vunerable to attack while doing so.
- Allow the station to be rebuilt for a significant amount of materials (but less than a building a new outpost), similar to how an outpost is constructed from an egg. Once the outpost is rebuilt assets become available as normal. Rebuilding a station will not rebuild the individual services.
- Stations could decay over time, meaning the rebuilding cost increases the longer an outpost has been in a wrecked state.
To wreck an outpost, there are many possibilities. Two possible options that were described in the thread were:
- Allow pilots to wreck an outpost once the system has no sovereignty by anyone. This could be done with anchorable modules on a 12 hour activation timer, interruptable by succesfully anchoring TCUs.
- Allow the station owner (director of the corp that owns the station) to activate a self destruct timer. This timer can be deactivated at any time by the station owner even if the outpost was conquered and a new corp is owner. The timer should allow for enough time to capture the station. A possible downside (or upside depending on your PoV) of this mechanic is that many corps will apply a tactic of scorched earth on every outpost they are about to lose.
- Allows people to get rid of unwanted outposts for all sorts of (devious) reasons
- Curb outpost sprawl
- May encourage more griefer campaigns - aimed at simply destroying outposts (this can also be a Pro, depending on your point of view)
- May be better fit as part of an overall sovreignty overhaul, as outposts affect sov status of systems in a big way.
Relevant Forum Threads
- Dierdra Vaal: Y
- Mynxee: Y
- Vuk Lau: Y
- mazzilliu: Y
- Trebor Daehdoow: Y
- Korvin: N
- TeaDaze: N
- Elvenlord: N
(vote would have been 8/0 instead of 5/3 if the proposal is part of a sov overhaul)